Zoning District Map
Zoning Board of Appeals Application & Information Guide
Zoning Board of Appeals Meeting Schedule
Commonly Asked Questions
- Is my land use permitted? In order to determine if your desired use is permitted, you must first determine what the zoning district of the property is here. Then, refer to the zoning ordinance to see what uses are permitted in that zoning district.
- Can I operate a business from my home? In order to determine if your business is allowed, you must first determine what the zoning district of the property is here. If a home occupation is permitted in your zoning district, click here to find the regulations.
- I want to build an outbuilding (garage, pole barn, etc) - what are the rules? In order to determine if an additional outbuilding is allowed on your property, you will first need to know your lot size and the amount of existing accessory square footage on your property (attached and detached building square footage combined). If you don't already know your lot size, search for your property through our assessing records. Then, you must determine the zoning district of the property here. Next, you'll need to follow the regulations (size, setbacks, etc) as set forth in the zoning ordinance. When you're ready to apply for a building permit, refer to our Building Services webpage for permitting information.
- Can I construct a fence on my property? While the City of Walker does not require a permit to construct a fence, you must adhere to the setbacks and regulations as set forth in the zoning ordinance. Fences are not permitted on any type of easement. Failure to adhere to the ordinance standards could result in code enforcement violation.
- Can I have chickens? The City of Walker does allow "backyard chickens". You must adhere to the regulations as set forth in the zoning ordinance. There is no cost to complete our registration form.
- What if I can't meet the ordinance requirements? Can I apply for a variance? Please refer to the zoning ordinance to review criteria for granting a variance. If you are ready to apply for a variance, find application materials here.
Tricia Anderson - Planning Director / Zoning Administrator
Staff interpretation and enforcement of the City of Walker Zoning Ordinance and certain general ordinances. Staff support to the Zoning Board of Appeals and Planning Commission.
Meghann Gorby - Code Enforcement Specialist
Zoning complaints, including tall grass, junk, rubbish, inoperable vehicles, snow covered sidewalks, etc.
Staff interpretation and enforcement of the City of Walker Zoning Ordinance and certain general ordinance.