A vacancy will be created in one of the two 2nd Ward Commission seats, effective December 18, 2018. The vacancy results from 2nd Ward Commissioner Gary Carey being appointed to Mayor, with Mayor Mark Huizenga being elected as our 74th District State Representative in the November 2018 Election.
Roles and Duties of a City Commissioner:
The City Commission is the legislative body of City government. The City Commission determines the policies, directions and levels of service in the City of Walker. The Commission’s main responsibility is to determine how best to meet the numerous needs and demands for public services throughout the City while complying with state, federal and local laws. A Commissioner must be willing to effectively engage with residents, attend special meetings and events, and interact with numerous organizations, boards, committees and city staff.
At the minimum, a City Commissioner is expected to attend all City Commission meetings, unless excused by the Commission. Per the Walker Charter, the Commission must hold two regular meetings per month (the 2nd and 4th Monday’s of each month). The Commission also regularly schedules a Commission Work Session on the 3rd Monday of each month. In addition, the Commissioner will be appointed by the Mayor to serve on one or more city standing committees as well as one or more City advisory committees. (These meetings are scheduled on an as needed basis).
Elected official’s salaries are set by the Local Officer’s Compensation Commission, which meets in every odd year. The current yearly Commissioner salary is $5,739.00. In addition, Commissioner’s receive $15.00 per meeting attended as set by the City’s Charter.
Applications will be received, and the appointment made in the following manner:
- To be eligible for appointment, you must be a registered voter in the 2nd Ward of the City of Walker, and a City of Walker resident for at least one year.
- Applicants must submit a letter of interest and a resume to: Sarah Bydalek, Walker City Clerk, 4243 Remembrance Road, N.W., Walker, Michigan 49534.
- Applications must be received by the City Clerk by Friday, December 28, 2018.
- The City Clerk, Mayor and the Commission will review all applications to ensure that applicants meet the minimum requirements for the appointment.
- Appointment will be made at the January 14 or January 28, 2019, City Commission Meeting.
Please direct any questions to Sarah Bydalek, City Clerk firstname.lastname@example.org