Paid-on-Call Fire Fighter
Title: Paid on Call Fire Fighter
Reports to: Fire Chief, Deputy Chief, Station Officers
Broad Statement of Responsibilities: Responds to and assists the Fire Department in providing fire and rescue services to residents of the City of Walker.
Requirements to be eligible to apply to be a Walker Fire Department Paid on Call Firefighter:
- Be a resident of the City of Walker or if living outside the Walker City limits, must be within three driven miles of the nearest Walker Fire Station. Our Fire Stations are located at: 4343 Remembrance Road, 4101 Lake Michigan Drive, and 1470 3-Mile Road
- Minimum of 18 years old and possess a high school diploma or equivalent
- Valid Michigan Driver's license with no restrictions, including a good driving record
- No criminal record
- Available to attend a minimum of two training sessions per month and one Sunday morning duty per month from 9 am until Noon
- Preference will be given to applicants that are available to respond to calls during the day
Hiring Process and Application:
- Application packets should be submitted to the Human Resources Department.
- New Recruit applications are reviewed yearly by the Fire Department management team in early summer in preparation for the mandatory training sessions that begin in October. Applications submitted by currently certified firefighters are reviewed regularly and processed separately from new recruits.
- An orientation meeting takes place annually to discuss the hiring process and share information about the expectations of the position. Spouses are encouraged to attend.
The City of Walker Fire Department will provide recruits with all necessary training and personal protective equipment. During a new recruit's provisional period of employment (the first year), they can expect monthly performance reviews and skills checks.
If you have any questions regarding the responsibilities of this position, please contact the Fire Department Office at 791-6840.