Learn to Skate & Play Hockey
Learn to Skate, Learn to Play Hockey and Snow Plow are city-run programs that offer people of all ages the opportunity to being and develop their skating or hockey skills in an instructive and fun group environment. For more information, visit www.walkericeandfitness.com or email Mike at firstname.lastname@example.org
We also offer adult lessons! Our adult class is perfect for those 16+ who are stepping out on the ice for the first time or want to brush up on their skills. Remember, it's never too late to learn to skate!
- For questions about Learn to Play Hockey, or other Ice Arena inquiries, email Mike Fountain or call him at (616) 735-6112.
- For questions about Learn to Skate & Snow Plow email Coach Brooke.
- For registration questions, email Gillian Hendershot.
Learn to Skate:
Learn To Skate provides a fun way for skaters of all ages to learn to fundamentals of ice skating. Skaters are divided among our instructors based on experience, so the program is great for beginners and more advanced skaters. Learn to Skate will ensure you learn the correct techniques of the basic elements of skating. Email email@example.com with any questions. Register here.
Learn to Play Hockey:
Learn To Play Hockey is a great way for children to start and develop their hockey playing skills. It's really important for Learn to Play Hockey that participants have basic skating skills. Full equipment is required - email Mike Fountain with any questions. Register here
Snow Plow is for children 5 years and younger who've never skated before. It teaches kids the basics of skating in a fun and safe environment. On-ice instruction is for 30 minutes. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Register here
If your skater is under 3 and you feel they're ready, reach out to Coach Brooke at email@example.com for help.
Adult Learn to Skate
Our adult-track classes are perfect for skaters 16+ who want to start and develop their skating skills. No experience is required, and lessons are perfect for those interested in hockey, figure skating as well as those looking for a new recreational activity. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Register here
Learn to Skate USA
We are proud to be partnering with Learn to Skate USA. This partnership provides your skaters with instruction from background-screened, certified instructors and instruction that follows a standardized curriculum founded in solid and fun skill progression. For other benefits visit Learn to Skate USA’s website.
- What if I sign my kid up for the wrong program?
That's no problem! Our instructors often make adjustments once we see children on the ice. For example, if you sign your daughter up to Learn to Skate and she's ready and willing to go for Learn to Play Hockey, we can just switch her into the other program. If you're ever in doubt, our Ice Director is always happy to assess your kid's skill level.
- My Child is 5 and I don't know whether to put her in Snow Plow or Learn to Skate, what should I do?
If your child has never skated at all, we recommend signing up for Snow Plow and if, once on the ice, she's confident and comfortable, we can switch her into Learn to Skate (an additional charge would apply). You can always talk to a member of staff here at Walker Ice and Fitness if you need more help.
- My son's going into one of the programs and I'm worried about him being on the ice without me. Can I go out with him?
We do not allow parents/guardians out on the ice with the kids. We want to build up confidence for children on the ice and we've found that it's best if they work with our instructors. Even if you have a lot of skating experience, we still need to have our certified staff lead the sessions and it gets confusing for kids when their parents are on the ice, too. Part of learning to skate is learning to fall over and younger kids actually do better with this when Mom and Dad aren't on the ice.
- Is there any way I can help out or get involved?
We always appreciate volunteers who have a strong background in figure skating or hockey. Please reach out to our Ice Director, Mike Fountain, at 616-735-6286 for more information or email him.
- What should my child wear for Snow Plow or Learn to Skate?
- Ice Skates (rentals will be provided at no cost, or we have a great selection of beginner skates in the Walker Ice and Fitness Center Pro-Shop)
- Gloves or Mittens
- Helmets are required for Snow Plow and strongly recommended for Learn to Skate (a bike helmet is fine)
- Snow Pants or warm layers that allow for freedom of movement.
- What should my child wear for Learn to Play Hockey?
For Learn to Play Hockey, full hockey equipment is required. We sell equipment for all ages in our Pro-Shop! If you need help, please feel free to reach out to our Ice Director at 616-735-6286.